Apart from incentives like the research allowance (25%) or the research premium (8%), it were structural reforms like the founding of the Research Promotion Agency ( Forschungsförderungsgesellschaft ,FFG) that made Austria even more attractive for business relevant research. The FFG provides funds for every field of applied research and has a yearly budget of EUR 586 million (2007).
Eligible investments - nationwide ceilings for Austria:
- Industrial research and development: 50%
- Experimental development (pre-market research): 25%
Supplementary funding can be granted for SMEs and specific cooperation projects.
- Low interest loans (Austrian Research Promotion Agency, ERP Fund)
- Subsidies (Austrian Research Promotion Agency, various provincial assistance agencies)
- Guarantees (Austrian Research Promotion Agency)
Marketable technological innovations with corresponding risks in implementation.