Here you can see and modify the cookie settings of various tools used on and related subdomains.

Save settings
Advantage Austria Show navigation

Austria’s exports hold steady

11. April 2017

There was very little change in Austria’s foreign trade figures for 2016, with imports rising by 1.5% and exports scarcely changing (-0.2%).

According to preliminary figures for 2016 from Statistics Austria , Austria’s export economy took a slight dip to EUR 131.2 billion (-0.2%) while the total value of goods imported to the country (EUR 135.6 billion) was 1.5% up on the previous year. At EUR 4.4 billion, the deficit in the balance of trade was more than twice as high as in 2015.

In 2016, approximately 70% of Austria’s foreign trade was conducted with member states of the European Union, with the remaining 30% transacted with other countries. Germany remained Austria’s biggest trading partner in 2016, and more than half of the country’s trade was concluded with just five nations: besides Germany, imports came from China, Switzerland and the Czech Republic, while most exports went to Germany, the USA, Italy, Switzerland and France.

Some 87% of Austria’s exports were in the four largest product groups by value: ‘machinery and vehicles’ (up +0.3% to EUR 52,5 billion), ‘processed goods’ (down -2.2% to EUR 28.2 billion), ‘chemical products’ (down -0.6% to EUR 17.8 billion) and ‘other manufactured goods’ (up +0.8% to EUR 15.4 billion).