Cookie-Settings

Here you can see and modify the cookie settings of various tools used on www.advantageaustria.org and related subdomains.


Save settings
Advantage Austria Show navigation

Growth forecast for Austrian economy in 2013

28 December 2012

Austria's economic research institutes predict modest growth in 2013. Ernst & Young agree.

The Austrian Institute of Economic Research (Wifo) and the Institute for Advanced Studies (IHS) agree that the economy reached its low point in the fourth quarter 2012; from 2013 Austria’s economy should bounce back slightly and grow by 0.8% (IHS) or 1% (Wifo). GDP growth for 2012 was around 0.6 or 0.7%. 
Professional services provider Ernst & Young reached a similar conclusion in their so-called winter forecast and predicts economic growth for Austria of 0.9% in 2013. According to Helmut Maukner of E&Y Austria, we must contend with more moderate economic growth in the coming year. This stands in contrast to many other eurozone countries where total GDP is forecast to contract by 0.2%. Ernest & Young has forecast a slight economic recovery in Europe for 2014, which should translate into a plus of 1.1% in Austria.

The weak international economy, leading to muted commodity and energy prices in 2013, is likely to trigger falls in inflation, down to 2.1% (Wifo) and 1.8% (IHS). The equivalent figures for 2012 were 2.4% and 2.5% respectively. This is in contrast to unemployment, which is set to rise slightly in 2013 despite the moderate recovery and will remain high in 2014 – Eurostat forecasts unemployment rates of 4.6% (2012: 4.3%).

print
©©ADVANTAGE AUSTRIA