Here you can see and modify the cookie settings of various tools used on and related subdomains.

Save settings
Advantage Austria Show navigation
We think you are in the USAGo to this country pageChange country

Passports and Visas

Globe ©


Which documentation do you need when travelling to Austria? Here are the answers and all of the necessary details.

Travel documents

Valid passport

For EU citizens as well as citizens from certain other countries, an official identity pass is sufficient. In exceptional cases a passport which has expired not more than 5 years ago may also be used. For exact details, please visit the website of the  Federal Ministry for European and International Affairs .


No visa is needed for citizens of all countries which border Austria, EU citizens, in addition to citizens of numerous other countries. Information on all countries with visa exemption is provided by the Austrian embassy or consulate in the respective country and available online at the website of the Federal Ministry for Europe, Integration and Foreign Affairs.

In accordance with the Schengen arrangements, citizens of a third country who hold a valid Schengen visa or residence permit can enter Austria without further necessary documentation, as long as this document has no extra country-specific restrictions.

Passport Control

There are no longer any checks on the German and Italian Schengen borders. This also applies to incoming flight traffic to Austria for flights from other Schengen countries. Passengers from within the Schengen area should still carry valid travel documents, as these may still be required during random spot checks.

The Schengen countries are: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Sweden, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Czech Republic, Hungary  as well as the non-EU countries Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.

Travelling with Pets

Pets such as dogs or cats, older than 12 weeks, need a valid vaccination certificate either in German or with an official translation stamp. The vaccination must have been administered at least 21 days and not more than 1 year before crossing the border. Every animal must be clearly marked with either a tattoo or a microchip.

Dogs, cats and ferrets travelling within the European Union require a pet passport. Every animal must be accompanied by valid documentation from a recognised veterinary clinic with proof of a recent rabies vaccination.