The following residence titles for specific purposes are known in the Austrian legal system:
- Residence permit (temporary and restricted residence)
- Red-White-Red Card (temporary settlement with restricted access to the labor market)
- Red-White-Red Card Plus (temporary settlement with unrestricted access to the labor market)
- EU Blue Card (temporary settlement with restricted access to the labor market)
- Settlement permit (temporary settlement with restricted access to the labor market)
- Settlement permit with the exception of employment (temporary settlement excluding access to the labor market)
- Settlement permit – family member (temporary settlement excluding access to the labor market)
- Family member (temporary settlement with unrestricted access to the labor market)
- Permanent residence – EU (permanent right to settle in the country with unrestricted access to the labor market)
- Permanent residence- family member (permanent right to settle in the country with unrestricted access to the labor market)
Red-White-Red Card: Qualified immigration opens up new opportunities
Austria has introduced its Red-White-Red Card (RWR Card), a new, transparent and flexible system to regulate immigration. The objective is to enable the long-term immigration of qualified employees from third countries and their family members to Austria on the basis of specified personalized and labor market criteria.
The most important criteria are: Qualifications, professional experience, age, language skills, minimum remuneration and an appropriate job offer.
Two types of RWR Cards will be issued:
- RWR Card: Entitlement to take up residence in Austria and employment with a specified employer
- RWR Card plus: Entitlement to take up residence in Austria as well as unrestricted access to the job market
The new immigration system applies to the following groups of people:
- Very highly qualified workers
- Skilled workers in shortage occupations
- Other key workers
- Self-employed key workers
- Graduates of Austrian universities and colleges of higher education
- Start-up founders
The Red-White-Red – Card upgrades the value of Austria as a business location and offers clear benefits to companies:
- Highly qualified employees are available to work for companies effective immediately without the need for additional permits.
- It is a flexible system tailored to labor market needs
- It increases Austria’s attractiveness for internationally mobile and well educated employees.
- The ability to exploit the potential of university graduates from third countries who have studied in Austria.
- Companies can more easily attract medium-skilled workers if they are engaged in a profession which is in demand in Austria.
- Intercultural competencies make companies more competitive.
- It enhances economic benefits (creation of new jobs, stimulation of economic growth)
More information regarding settlement and residence in Austria is to be found on the website of the Federal Ministry of the Interior.